Monday, August 23, 2010

One Good Thing, and some other things



Good morning. If you were out having a life and missed the news this weekend, there's a bit of a change around these parts. So let's get caught up.

I've gotten a bunch of responses to my first interactive project, called One Good Thing... but y'all aren't really in the spirit of it yet. Here's a fairly typical example:

“I believe that the Republican Tea Partiers are right in their belief that something is wrong even though they are completely wrong about what is wrong.”

I appreciate the effort, but that pretty much defines the phrase "backhanded compliment."

My idea -- and my hope -- is that you can find one unadulterated nice thing to say about a group that you don't like. For example... I don't enjoy seeing the Jehovah's Witnesses who make regular visits to our neighborhood. But I admire the courage of their faith.

Of course I have an agenda here. I've always thought, at our core, we are more alike than different. But when we look at other people, we often define them by the ways they're different than us -- and then, over time, we can't see anything but the differences. I suspect that's not good for humanity in the long run.

So... let's keep trying. One good thing. Sincere and pure. And brief! There are lots of ways to contribute:

-- Email ttomlinson@charlotteobserver.com. (You can also send photos that way.)

-- Send me a message on Twitter (@tommytomlinson), or post a tweet with the hashtag #onegoodthing.

-- Send me a Facebook message.

-- Leave a voicemail at 704-358-5227.

-- Upload a video to YouTube and send me a link.

Whatever format you use, put "One Good Thing" in the subject line or label it some other way. If you want, let me know who you are and how to get in touch. I wasn't clear on this last time, but it's OK with me if you're anonymous... you just have to be sincere and anonymous.

Before I go, I want to share a few inspirations for what I'm trying to do here. I'll be putting these and some others in a blogroll shortly.

I've been fascinated with PostSecret for years... I could scroll through the cards for hours. We all have secrets we want to tell, if the circumstances are right.

The Moth is an amazing little storytelling event that started in New York. Go here and listen to some great stories, in front of an audience, no notes.

And StoryCorps, which came through Charlotte not long ago, has unearthed some brilliant stories from ordinary people. I'll leave you this morning with the true story of Danny and Annie. Keep tissues nearby. And when you get a chance... tell me a story.

Danny & Annie from StoryCorps on Vimeo.


5 comments:

Jessica said...

This is a great project; I hope to contribute.

Yes, The Moth is phenomenal (do you subscribe to their podcast?). I was lucky enough to catch a live show the last time I was in NYC.

BigmacInPittsburgh said...

I'll try to add my two cents,nice to see you are blogging,don't know if you remember interviewing me about a problem with flooding in back yard ten years ago and you writing about my size 17 foot,but I have always liked you as a person,I always saw your humanity.
I'll never forget that day you sitting in our house,caring when no one else did.

Prepjpw said...

It's great story-telling what you do, but for your friends in what used to be called the news business, it's story-telling in a new way that's also very, very old. Go get 'em. Second round is on me.
-- Jim Willse

Anonymous said...

It appears to me you want other people to do your work for you???

BooBearTom said...

Danny & Annie - great stuff Tommy. Thanks.
Wish you the best as always.
Tom