Friday, September 25, 2009

Avett Brothers Week, Day 5 -- Friday time-waster edition

First off, thanks to everyone who followed along this week... this was a lot of fun for me. I'll be really interested in what you think of the story on Sunday -- leave your comments in the story or just come back here and let me know your thoughts.

(The other dispatches from Avetts Week: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4.)

Today's Avett offerings are a little longer than the ones earlier in the week. This might be my favorite Avetts video -- it's a mini-concert they did for NPR a few months ago. It's about 15 minutes long and features "Laundry Room" (from the new album), "Down With the Shine" (unreleased) and "Bella Donna" (from the '07 EP "The Second Gleam.")



The other nugget is also from NPR -- it's a segment of the "World Cafe" show that aired last night. It has a few minutes of an interview with the band, plus three songs from the new album -- "Kick Drum Heart," "I and Love and You" and "Laundry Room."



Finally, here's an early review of the album from Paste magazine. It's a pain in the butt to read -- it's a digital copy of the magazine, and you have to search for "Avett" to find it -- but they love the record: 96 out of 100.

Key quote: "Having conquered every Saturday night music hall and holler between Asheville and Portland, they have made a record that is not just a stab at the mainstream -- it's a harpoon through its sternum."

2 comments:

Patti said...

The "Paste" magazine review is the most eloquent and spot on piece I have read about the new release and the "Avett effect" that the brothers have on people. Music has been my hobby and my comfort for most of my life but I have never come across music that has effected my life in such a powerful way. The Avett brothers are the epitome of what American music is today and the message that they convey is timeless, ageless, borderless and much needed soothing for sore ears. Thanks for sharing the wealth Tommy!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU, Tommy for keeping the news about The Avetts alive. I am a ravid, avid fan and I want them to have the best PR for the release of I+L+U. I agree with everything you've written. Your opinion is open, honest and true.