Friday, August 31, 2007

A Dot, and a Pearl

It's a busy Friday but I wanted to point y'all to a couple of things:

-- On Sunday I'll have a story in the paper about a momentous day in Charlotte history -- the day Dorothy Counts (now Dot Counts-Scoggins) integrated Harding High School. As of now (2 p.m. Friday), there's a slideshow on charlotte.com that serves as sort of a preview. On Sunday we'll have a story in the paper, plus photos, video and other extras online.

We'll also be running other stories this month about the events of September '57, including updates on the other three black children who integrated the Charlotte schools that day.

-- On a different subject: Back in 1986 I wrote a story on a guy named Pearl Fryar, who lives in Bishopville, S.C., and does amazing topiary work with the trees and plants in his yard. Pearl is one of my all-time favorite people. Well, now there's a documentary about him -- "A Man Named Pearl" -- and it's showing in Charlotte this week at the Regal Stonecrest 22. Larry Toppman, our movie critic, reviewed the movie in today's E&T (three stars!) and wrote about the filmmakers for Wednesday's paper.

I've seen the movie. It's great, and you will love Pearl Fryar. Go check it out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy,
What a wonderful piece. Great writing laced with surprises from beginning to end.
Thanks,
Scott Hadly

Anonymous said...

Tommy,

Your Eureka piece is sour grapes. Don't worry, the will of the people is seldom carried out in Charlotte. Ask Bob Johnson.

Anonymous said...

let's just go back to dirt roads..duke boys style!

Anonymous said...

I remember reading this article when it was published. I thought it was one of the most interesting human interest stories I had ever read. I loved the way you humanized all the characters, particularly a couple of boys in the crowd. You have a gift for being so totally non-judgmental, which is so refreshing. I came by your blog because I'm researching for a novel of fiction that I'm hopefully about to embark upon. I wish you continued success.