Thursday, June 24, 2010

USA! USA! USA!

Last night on Twitter, ESPN's Bill Simmons started posting YouTube links of reactions to Landon Donovan's last-minute goal that beat Algeria in the World Cup. When I went to bed he had posted six. I could have watched 600.

I'm not going to pretend I was a big soccer fan before the World Cup. And I doubt I'll be following the English Premier League afterward. But you don't have to fall all the way in love with everything. Sometimes you can fall in love a little bit. I'm a little bit in love with soccer now. And I truly loved this moment.

The first video is from CNN -- I found it through WSOC's Bill Voth (@billvoth on Twitter). The next six come from Simmons (@sportsguy33 on Twitter). If you run across others -- especially from Charlotte -- holler in the comments and we'll post them.

I am now officially looking forward to a soccer match involving Ghana. This is a whole new world.

UPDATE: At the bottom there's a highlight reel of sorts, compiling pieces of most of the other videos plus a few others.

New York (there's an ad on the front end, but it's worth it):



San Diego:



Portland:



Vegas:



At the stadium:



Seattle:



Lincoln, Nebraska:



Compilation:



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched all these last night (also follow simmons). Like you, I could watch hundreds more.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. That was fun!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Thanks for posting those.

JAT said...

OK Tommy, so where you watchin' the game tomorrow?

Jeditigger said...

I'm actually watching the end of the Algeria game again because I cannot see that goal often enough. While I am not always the biggest fan of professional sports, national sports like the Olympics and the World Cup are very special because teams play together, for pride, for nation. Just brilliant.

I also watched all of the reaction videos. :)