Friday, May 18, 2007

Where were you in '57?

OK, a lot of you weren't around in 1957 -- I wasn't either -- but if you were in Charlotte back then, I'd like to talk to you for a story I'm working on. Specifically, I'm trying to find people who were in the school system when Dorothy Counts and other black students integrated Charlotte schools.

If you were a student or worked for the school system, I'd like to hear from you. If you were on the scene the day that Dorothy first came to Harding High, I'd REALLY like to hear from you.

I'm taking some time off and will be out of the office for a few weeks. But if you pop me an e-mail at ttomlinson@charlotteobserver.com, I'll be sure to see it. Or just leave a message at 704-358-5227 and I'll be in touch.

And feel free to add your memories in the comments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy I know this off the subject but I think we are going to see something in the sky soon ; Like either space junk or sightings of a flying saucer or Blue lights Just remember I said this. Jimmy " clarvoyant" Lea

Anonymous said...

Tommy segregation is starting all over again just by default' The rich live on one side of town surrounded by MOATS and alligators and the poor live on the other side of the tracks; the other side of the tracks dont bother me but the standard of living does; I know by now People in this city think Im a flaming asshole but you must admit it scares me when I start seeing the middle class fail here; We need more jobs to come here to drive poverty out.

Anonymous said...

Tommy Im running for Mayor here and will show the People of Charlotte how its done; I can beat any Mayor best 2 out of 3 shots of a beer can out of a ford pick up.