Thursday, June 15, 2006

A truckload of Bimbo

One of the benefits of becoming an international city is coming across those little quirks in language.

And so twice in the past week I've ended up behind trucks painted with big, happy signs advertising:

Bimbo bread.

Surprisingly, Pamela Anderson has nothing to do with this product.

Turns out Bimbo is a Mexican brand that has been around since 1945. They specialize in white bread (it's sort of the Wonder bread of Mexico) but they also make doughnuts, pound cakes and so on. Their mascot, which is featured on the trucks, is a cross between a Care Bear and the Pillsbury Doughboy.

You can find out more at bimbousa.com, a site that has surely disappointed legions of teenage boys.

Seen any other brand names that almost made you drive off the road? Add your favorites below.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I don't know that this is really related, but you just reminded me of a funny story about brand names from other countries. I went to Costa Rica a few years ago on a mission trip with some folks from church. While we were there, we went to a World Cup soccer match. The announcements were all in spanish, and since I took french in high school to me it all sounded like "blah blah blah blah blah PIPASA!!!" The one word that kept sticking out was PIPASA, and the announcer kept saying it very excitedly. We all thought that it must mean something like "Go Team Costa Rica!" so we all started yelling it too, whenever a goal was made or something good happened. Finally a local kid who was with us asked why we kept yelling PIPASA, and someone sheepishly admitted we didn't know what it meant. He rolled his eyes and informed us that Pipasa is actually a brand of chicken... they had sponsored the game. Imagine being at a Panthers' game, and some fools in front of you are yelling "Purdue!"

loribelle said...

Well, Tommy, this is crass... but you started it!

This has nothing to do with translation issues; it's a purely American thing unfortunately. Every time I see the signs for those wide speed bumps that have gone up in neighborhoods all over the city, I giggle like a pre-adolescent boy. (I'm a 45-year-old mom, so it's not pretty!) I was riding in a car with relatively new friends when I saw a "Road Hump" sign for the first time. Without any consideration whatsoever I blurted, "And I thought carpet burns were bad!"

JohnnyP said...

Loribelle, you absolutely cracked me up!!! That's way too funny!!!

Sean said...

Tommy,

You naughty fella, you! Ha. (I tease.)

I think that's a great observation and question. Off the top of my head, no: I've not seen any brand names that might've preempted a traffic snafu!

For the little it's worth, though, I did get a chuckle out of a typo on a McDonald's sign here in Gastonia a few years back: 9 billion serfed. (So that's how they cook the fries so fast!)

If I do find an example of what you're after, though, I'll be sure to share it. I'm only an aspiring writer at the moment, so it'd probably not do me much good to try and keep the idea to myself. (Besides, even if I were in a position to publish articles, you'd do a better one. And since you're one of the sweetest guys around, I couldn't help but to let you know!)

Best,
-Sean